How’s the job going?
Mostly this question comes from fellow marshals who I haven’t seen in a while or have not met before and I realise that the inquiry refers to my role as Chairman of the BMMC and not my employment during the week.
Yes that seems to surprise some people too – the role of Chair and the other Council and committee members are all voluntary. I can claim expenses to and from Council meetings – train fare for example – and any time I am on official business but otherwise I am a volunteer as you all are!
(For those who don’t know I started a new job in January as Interim Supply Chain Manager for a gluten free product manufacturer – no names but we just launched waffles in the UK!)
In terms of my role as Chair I can honestly say I am amazed how quick this year is flying by. I set out some aims and objectives for my tenure in position and I am pleased to report I have been working closely with Council to achieve these.
- Increasing communication to members was one of my main priorities and I hope my updates are seen as interesting and useful (any topics I haven’t covered??). Social media interaction has increased and work is taking place to improve the website with further plans ahead. Plans for a members monthly draw in progress.
- We refreshed the Regalia with the launch of Teamwear – lots of you have purchased this already – looks great!
- Regional committees need new recruits to ensure that all roles are covered – and not all by one person! Are you interested? Regional AGMs are being planned by your committees
- Recruitment continues with the website, Team Wilson at BTCC but don’t forget we all have a role to play to encourage volunteers to come back
- We have joined all Regional Associations to enable better working relationships with all aspects of motorsport. Maybe you would like to help out at another type of event or maybe compete?
I also sit on a number of committees with the MSA which keep me busy. The MSA recognises that their achievements are wholly supported by an army of volunteers.
- MSA Marshals Working Group (MWG) of which I am Chairman, consists of marshals from various organisations covering all disciplines. The objectives of the Group are to ensure marshals welfare, training and development.
The MWG works closely with the Training Working Group to ensure training materials are available and up-to-date in all aspects to cover marshals requirements in all disciplines. The MSA will be updating on this further before the end of this year.
- As Chair of MWG I report to Volunteer Officials Advisory Panel (VOAP) which recognises all volunteers – Rescue, Clerks, Scrutineers and Timekeepers
- As Chair of BMMC I also sit on Race Committee with all areas of racing considered from circuit owners, technical regulations as well as marshals.
I am making our voice heard and you will note the increased recognition being given by the MSA to volunteers with competitions, goodie bags etc. We are also contacted for items for MSA news – so keep your local committee informed of newsworthy items for inclusion
So when I next get asked how it is going my reply is now – you tell me?